Spigt Dutch Caribbean facilitates transactions and advises in the field of corporate law. We also assist our national and international clients in (threatening) disputes. In international matters we work closely with our clients’ law and tax firms abroad.
Spigt Dutch Caribbean advises on all matters of corporate law in relation to the interests of shareholders, directors, supervisory directors, investors, the government and financial institutions.
Spigt Dutch Caribbean helps structure and document mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, investment projects, privatizations, management buy-outs, restructurings, legal split-offs, conversions, the transfer of legal entities and liquidations. Where necessary, our corporate and financial lawyers work closely together with our tax advisers ensuring an integrated approach. Our expertise lies among others in drafting and assessing acquisition contracts, merger documentation, joint-venture agreements, shareholder agreements, articles of association, amendment of articles and legal opinions.
Examples of our expertise in ‘onshore’ transactions are:
- The sale of the Antillean and Aruban branches of ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
- The acquisition by Arubabank of the mortgage portfolio of Delta Lloyd
- The acquisition by Van Lanschot Bankiers of the Antillean private banking activities of ING
- The acquisition by a Trinidad based Insurance company of insurance company ING Fatum
- The privatization of the Curacao International Airport
- The corporate structuring and financing of the Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
- The acquisition by Fatum (Guardian Group) of its competitor Royal & Sun Alliance
We manage disputes and litigate when necessary. We have in-depth knowledge and experience with shareholder disputes, dismissal and liability of directors and officers, acquisition contracts and buy-out disputes.